January 15, 2013

Nursing - to infinity and beyond!

Ok, so not really. Aubrie only turned one last month but to combat with some comments and controversy on why you hear a mama should stop nursing at one I did a little research. 


For the record, any nursing is better then no nursing at all. With all the troubles I had in the beginning (story here) I set mini goals for myself. Goal one- Start strong and get encouragement! I didn't do my Pediatrician homework and just went with the one who was at the hospital. Big mistake. She was a sweet lady (kinda), with no children and could careless about breastfeeding. On 2 occasions she said she "had to send me home with formula" because of the issues I was having and how "slowly" Aubrie was gaining weight - even though I told her I wasn't going to use it. The third and final time I saw her, she said that although things were getting better, my desires for not supplementing and the fact that I was having to nurse Aubrie literally every 2 hours to the minute in order for her to get back to that oh so holy birth weight, was unrealistic. EXCUSE ME??! 


Anyways, I NEEDED encouragement at that time and if I wouldn't of had it I might have supplemented or given up. Ok so my goal one - start strong. Goal two - three months, then once I reached that, six months, nine, and 12. When we were approaching the 12 month goal is when we found out Bacon bit #2 was growing. So now my goal of two years seems more up to Aubrie then me. 

I've read a little bit on tandem nursing and I guess a high percentage of toddlers will wean before the next baby arrives. I of course am hoping Aubrie is not one of those. I've come up with a theory as to why she might not be, and I think it's fairy legit. She only has two teeth.. and it looks like another one, possibly two are coming in. So my thoughts are, with her being a late teether the desire for my milk and the comfort it brings will help combat the teething pains, and her desire to nurse will be greater then any changes that may occur with my milk (or belly) because of the pregnancy. And if that's not the case then it's okay. I will not force her to nurse and am all for her self weaning if that's what she wants. 

Not only did we find out we were expecting again when Aubrie turned one, I got questions asking how I was going to wean her, if she was doing okay not nursing anymore, how much longer was I going to breastfeed and why would I nurse after one and how unnecessary it is... things like that. And this is what I found as to why Aubrie, Bacon bit #2 and any other children the Lord blesses us with will be nursed after one... 

This is when I told Aubrie "no nursing right now Aubi, mama has to do the dishes!" Then she gave me this face and of course I nursed her. Dishes could wait...

___________________________

1. Nutritionally beneficial 

“Human milk expressed by mothers who have been lactating for >1 year has significantly increased fat and energy contents, compared with milk expressed by women who have been lactating for shorter periods. During prolonged lactation, the fat energy contribution of breast milk to the infant diet might be significant.” – Article by Dr. Mandel (2005)

As a global public health recommendation, infants should be exclusively breastfed1 for the first six months of life to achieve optimal growth, development and health2. Thereafter, to meet their evolving nutritional requirements, infants should receive nutritionally adequate and safe complementary foods while breastfeeding continues for up to two years of age or beyond. - World Health Organization (2001) 

In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
  • 29% of energy requirements
  • 43% of protein requirements
  • 36% of calcium requirements
  • 75% of vitamin A requirements
  • 76% of folate requirements
  • 94% of vitamin B12 requirements
  • 60% of vitamin C requirements
– Extended Breastfeeding Fact Sheet, Dewey (2001)
2. Contributes to Overall Health
Breastfeeding toddlers between the ages of one and three have been found to have fewer illnesses, illnesses of shorter duration, and lower mortality rates  (Mølbak 1994, van den Bogaard  1991, Gulick 1986).

Some of the immune factors in breastmilk increase in concentration during the second year and also during the weaning process. (Lawrence & Lawrence 2011, Goldman 1983, Goldman & Goldblum 1983, Institute of Medicine 1991).

3. Benefits Mental and Social Development 

According to Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq. in “Extended Breastfeeding and the Law”:
“Breastfeeding is a warm and loving way to meet the needs of toddlers and young children. It not only perks them up and energizes them; it also soothes the frustrations, bumps and bruises, and daily stresses of early childhood. In addition, nursing past infancy helps little ones make a gradual transition to childhood. Meeting a child’s dependency needs is the key to helping that child achieve independence. And children outgrow these needs according to their own unique timetable.Children who achieve independence at their own pace are more secure in that independence then children forced into independence prematurely."

Dr. Jack Newmen believes that extended breastfeeding actually promotes a child's independence and emotional development. He says, "The breastfed toddler is more independent in the long run because his independence comes from a deep-seated security that comes from breastfeeding.

4. Even Mom Benefits!

Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer. Studies have found a significant inverse association between duration of lactation and breast cancer risk. Breastfeeding also reduces the risk of ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and endometrial cancer. - National Cancer Institute (2002)

Breastfeeding reduces the risk of rheumatoid arthritis and cardiovascular disease. - Karlson (2004)

Breastfeeding moms may lose weight easier. - Dewey, KG (1993)

The "mothering hormone," prolactin, relaxes you, while oxytocin stimulates loving , nurturing behavior. As mothers of nursing toddlers know, this can be very important to your mental health and well-being. Life with a toddler is not always easy! You also benefit from the intimacy that nursing provides. Taking time out of a busy day to cuddle is as important to moms as it is to their babies. - D. Donovan (1999)


5. If Extended Breastfeeding Isn't Wrong, Maybe we are?

in many parts of the world, it is normal to breastfeed for two or three years or even longer. - Dettwyler (1995)

68% of the women who breastfed longer than one year returned to employment before their infant was 1 year old. - Hills-Bonczyk SG (1994) 

According to one study, the major themes that emerged from women`s comments were the importance of being strong in the face of social unacceptability, development of a close mother-child bond, and the naturalness of breastfeeding beyond 12 months.

In a society that still gets squeamish when a baby is nursed in public, the idea of continuing to nurse that baby until he’s a toddler or even a preschooler is a real show stopper. But much of the world doesn’t share the U.S.’s uneasiness. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends breast-feeding up to a child’s second birthday “or beyond.” Most U.S. mothers don’t even meet the recommendation made by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the U.S. Surgeon General that they skip infant formula and breast-feed exclusively for six months. According to the CDC’s 2011 Breastfeeding Report Card, 75% of U.S. mothers start out nursing their babies, but only 44% have stuck with it by the time their child is 6 months old — and just 15% are breast-feeding exclusively by that point. By baby’s first birthday, less than a quarter of mothers are breast-feeding at all. - Time Magazine Article
_______________________________________

If anything, I hope this little bit of information encouraged you to continue nursing your little one until you, and he/she is done, do not let critics tell you it's time to wean if you're not ready! Also, I hope this has given just a GLIMPSE of how beneficial breast milk is. There has been so much research done and it reaches the same conclusion: Breast is best! I also hope this has shed some light on what mother's like me are feeling and how we'd LOVE some support in our nursing endeavors :) 
Nursing, which is one of the most loving, selfless acts I can think of has affected me greatly. It's helped me enjoy Aubrie's infancy, I've gotten hours of cuddle time praying over her and memorizing her features, I've gotten to know her in a way I wouldn't have without our nursing sessions, we've grown to have this awesome bond, it's saved our family money AND I feel like I'm using the PERFECT gift of breast milk from God, that He intended for my girl, to benefit her immensely. Nothing, not formula or anything created by man could come close to breast milk, a perfect creation by THEE Creator. I could truly go on and on but am so under-qualified and emotionally attached that I really have a hard time seeing as to why it's viewed the way it is in the States or not more accepted. I'm beyond thankful for this year and hope this time next year to have two beautiful, healthy babies at my breasts praising God for it all. 
Some Resources : 
-http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/116/3/e432.abstract-
-http://kellymom.com/ages/after12mo/ebf-refs/#BreastCancer2
-http://fhea.com/main/content/breastfeeding/May2009.pdf
-http://www.mothering.com/community/a/extended-breastfeeding <-- This article is awesome and a more intense, detailed version of this post. 

7 comments:

  1. Amen Friend! keep feeding that little girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I see why i am starting to shed some fat now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Amanda, I was wondering why I was gaining.. then found out I was prego, I'm like oh okay, that makes sense lol

      Delete
  3. Love you and your heart!! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D
    You know that I know about self lead weaning and nursing up to the beyond. I'm so proud of you and ever so thankful that your my grand daughter's and soon to be next grand child's nursing mama. Amen and Amen to the most natural heath promoting bonding God given blessing we have to share with our babies. YOU GO GIRL!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of you I'm in the same boat as you and I'm happy its better for you it's so hard its the best thing for your babes!

    ReplyDelete